Monday, August 13, 2012

Celebrations in Naptown

On Friday afternoon, we hit the road, for yet another summer adventure.  This time though, it was a girls' only trip! We left the boys at home, and drove a little over five hours to a small town just west of Indy,  Danville, Indiana.  I had been a bit anxious about the long car ride and worried that it would seem more like 10 hours than 5.  However, to my complete surprise, in the almost 11 hour journey (round-trip), Helaina was an angel.  Her and I told stories and jokes, she watched movies and slept, wrote in her activity books, and we also made a couple stops along the way.  I was so proud of her, and she was my buddy for the weekend.
The Archer Family was our host for the weekend, yes all five of them...6 week old twins and all! They so graciously welcomed us into their home, and Helaina and Aiden had a weekend long slumber party.  They played very well together the entire trip...no fighting, just sharing, and the only tears that were shed were when they had to leave each other. 
Saturday morning we were able to get over to the State Fair.  For those of you that know me and my love of fairs, I was probably more excited than the kids to attend.  It had been 5 years since my last trip, and I was really looking forward to showing Helaina all the things that I used to love when I was a kid. 

Hmmm....if only Wayne County, MI had a 4-H program...I can only dream        

Riding the train around the fairgrounds

Farmer for the day.  Such a neat, hands-on', kid-friendly activity.

Planting her seeds


Milking the cow

After an awesome trip to the fair, it was time to celebrate Katie's birthday.  Ryan's parents offered to watch the kids while we had an "adult only" birthday dinner.  I thought Helaina might resist me leaving, because she had not spent much time with them before that evening, but as I was heading to the door, she said, "ok mommy, I'll see you later." Guess I didn't have much to worry about.  By the time we picked them up at the end of the night, she was referring to them as "Grandma and Grandpa Archer".
Happy Birthday Katie!

Ride home from Grandma and Grandpa Archer's.

But the main reason we drove all that way, was to share in Megan's special day.  She is the bride-to-be. The future Mrs. Jon Theophilus...just 3 short weeks away.  I am a bridesmaid, and Helaina is one of the flower girls.  Aiden and Nolan are the ring bears.  It sure to be a memorable weekend.
The shower was held at the Bread Basket Cafe and Bakery in downtown Danville.  If you live near there, you have to go!!!  Such a lovely place, with wonderful owners and a delicious menu.  It had a delightful ambiance, just perfect for a Sunday afternoon bridal shower for a very special friend!    

Congratulations Megan, we love you and are looking forward to your big day!
(From left to right) Erin, Katie, Megan, and me
FYI, many people will ask after this blog, so I'll just post now...Erin is due September, 27 :)

After a great weekend with friends, Helaina had yet another big day.  This morning was her first day of dance camp.  For a mom that never danced, and I mean never, I didn't even know what a child is to wear to one of these things.  I bought something at Meijer (on sale) and picked out some shoes from her dress-up bin.  Thank goodness she's only three, because I think she was supposed to wear tights too as I saw all the other girls with them on when we arrived.  I guess I have a bit to learn in this department.  None the less, she had a fantastic time!  It is everyday this week for 1 1/2 hours.  On Thursday, they will do a short performance for the parents.  



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute pics:) miss you guys!
Love ya,
Alexis:)